Thursday, September 22, 2011

Artwork


I have been able to spend some time drawing while I have been on this adventure. Here is just one of the pictures:

This is as best a copy of my own burqa as I can draw.


I have to confess that wearing a burqa is hard. You can't see very well and that makes it hard to walk. But there is a good thing about wearing a burqa and that is: you feel like a super hero, especially when the wind is blowing. The burqa flies and billows behind you like a big balloon. I feel like I could fly. And there is another good thing: there are less people who stare at you.  

As I learned to put the burqa on, I was very amusing to people around me. I found it hard to actually get it on. Native  women laughed when they saw me putting it on. Many of them tried to help me. Someone told me that I look like a French artist because my burqa was tilted off to the side. (That by the way was  not a native.) But the people love the fact that I wear a burqa.

I did finally learn how to wear a burqa. My next learning project is learning how to walk slowly like the natives here. The people know that I am a foreigner because I walk faster than they do. Plus, they can tell my  feet. Please pray that I will learn that quickly. :)


Jaynie

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are still drawing there.
    I miss you and can't wait to see you.
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha wow, Z...you are an incredible artist. Praise God for the gift He has given you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaynie, what a beautiful picture of my beautiful daughter. Rembrandt would be proud of your self-portrait. Do you remember that one of the many things he's famous for is his many, many self-portraits.

    I'm also glad you shared some of the challenges and pleasures of wearing a burqa. We appreciate learning about the culture there as you do.

    I love you very much and miss you. I pray for you many times each day. You are never far from my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're an amazing artist! ( and I greatly admire your new-found skill....it would take me longer than a few weeks to learn that :) Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the update. I am literally HUNGRY for news of you (although I'd much rather hug you and squeeze you and look at you, but I can't!). It was good to talk to you on the phone today!!
    I love you!
    ~ Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME burka pic! It just makes me Smile! brings back good memories, and HOT memories too. I only fell in a jewi once cause my burka billowed just as I came to a cross-the-sidewalk one and I totally didn't see it! My advice is just watch and learn, which sounds like what you're doing. :-) CJ

    ReplyDelete