Monday, August 29, 2011

A New Experience

As I am writing this post I am using only one hand because the other one is not available at this point and this why:

As we prepare for a holiday we have done a thing we call henna. It is a paint that you put on your hands and it stays there a long time. It is a way to celebrate the holiday. Women do very elaborate designs while men do a simple design.

These are not my hands but this is kind of what my hand look like, my lift hand is the only one that has henna on it. We had a lot of fun doing it, but it is very hard to survive while not getting henna over everything! Sadly, I did get some on my burqa and right by the face!:(
This is what henna looks like.

Other then that I am doing my usual stuff: teaching (which I love), resting (which I love also), learning the language, hanging out with the kids and parents, and cooking sometimes, cleaning other times, Skyping, e-mailing and reading, journaling and reading my Bible.

I have really enjoyed learning the language, my teacher is very patient with me when I don't learn something quickly. In this culture greetings are VERY important, so that is the first thing that I had to learn (and I am still learning them). There are so many things you have to say as the greeting.

The holiday begans tomorrow. During this holiday people go and visit all their friends and family. I am really excited about getting to experience a new part of this culture. Please pray that I will be able to learn the greetings well so that I can honor the people I come in contact with.



This picture is for my siblings:
SKITTLE!!!!!!
I love you guys and am so grateful to have you as siblings!!

Jaynie

6 comments:

  1. henna is beautiful!! I love that art form :) I had a henna design on my left hand too, and it finally wore off a couple days ago :( glad you're having a good time... praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Z - we (that is all the A's), are praying for you everyday. Loving your blog, the pictures and the descriptions, thank you so much for taking the extra time to keep us informed. It's like you are not only working there but also working here, as we read, blessing and challenging and gifting us with the grace God is giving you.

    your brothers and sisters in Christ,

    the A's.

    Praising and thanking God with unspeakable joy over you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The henna looks great Jaynie.
    I like the skittle part! :)

    -Andrew R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That design is like....WOW. It's beautiful!!
    I'm sure you'll do great learning the greetings :D Praying for you always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you with all my heart! Missing you! But know you're in the place God wants you!

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are praying for your quick learning of the greetings. It gives us so much joy to hear from you on your blog! Love, Mrs.H

    ReplyDelete